Re: Question about common meals
From: Diana E Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
My husband is also celiac, and thus doesn't often participate in community meals. When he doesn't eat, he doesn't pay for a meal, even if he comes to sit or eat with us.

He must not be as sensitive as you -- physical contact with wheat doesn't cause him problems as long as he takes care to wash his hands before eating anything. (I had to chuckle when I saw your note this morning...he just prepared a sandwich for our child's lunch, then reminded me as he washed his hands that "wheat is murder").

We also have a child in the community with a peanut allergy. We have much stricter rules around peanuts because 1) he's a child and thus less able to protect himself, and 2) his allergy is potentially fatal in a way gluten sensitivity isn't. We spent a long time working out our peanut policy, which we could share if you like, but it basically comes down to avoiding peanuts as much as possible, clearly labeling things, and not using peanuts in such a way that it might spread contamination widely (such as grinding or chopping them in the common house.)

there are lots and lots of ways to be actively involved in community that are not centered around common meals. And there's lots of work to be done...I think if you mow lawns or turn the compost or keep the books or maintain the website or do other jobs, no one would think you resistant for not participating in meals...at least here in our community.

- Diana
Mosaic Commons