Spanish-speaking ecovillage/sustainability instructor
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

This is a response to Charles' request for recommendations of Spanish- speaking instructors of sustainability for the project in Equador. I'd like to suggest Giovanni Ciarlo, cofounder and longtime resident of Huehuecoyotl Ecovillage in Mexico (sircoyote [at] aol.com). Giovanni is fluent in English and spends part of the year in the US. He is the current president of GEN (Global Ecovillage Network) and a longtime member of ENA (Ecovillage Network of the Americas). He has taught in the Ecovillage Design Education (EDE) course of GEN.

Another potential instructor is Enrique Hidalgo, founder of El Poncho EcoCenter, a sustainability education center in Bolivia that regularly hosts courses in the Ecovillage Design Education program, and Enrique teaches in the EDE program also, and is a member of ENA. He is, among other things, a permaculture teacher, and is bilingual also.

Both are wonderful guys, friends of mine.

Regarding Gaviotas in Colombia, mentioned by John Faust, actually the founder of Gaviotas, Paolo Lugari, doesn't consider Gaviotas an ecovillage and doesn't want to call attention to its existence in Colombia or Latin America to help protect Gaviotas residents from the guerilla army in Colombia. For this reason the book _Gaviotas_ by Alan Weisman was published in English only, not Spanish, and most Colombian ecovillage activists don't know much about the place or it's location.

I hope this is helpful.

        Diana Leafe Christian
(wearing hat as publisher/editor, Ecovillages newsletter http://www.EcovillageNews.org )

Message: 5