Re: Afforability
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:30:21 -0800 (PST)
The problem with cost per square foot is that it doesn't include the question
of "the people". I agree with Sharon that just sharing the actual cost of the
home is important. People have to know if they can afford it. But that is about
the actual cost of the home, not the cost per square foot, or other such
calculations.

In my town, the cohousing homes and other homes in the town cost about the same
amount.
Your choice is a huge home (2500-3500sf??) on a small piece of land (2-4 acres)
OR a small home (1800sf for our 4BR) on a huge piece of land  (68 acres, we
built on 8 of those) with an impressive common house and garden.

I think that the difference between those two things is in what you value: a
home in a community, or a home by yourself.

I don't think that cost per square foot tells you much about that.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
Mosaic Commons in Berlin MA where we have homes for moderate income folk, and
market rate homes available. And just had a great brunch before the kids gather
to play Magic.
www.sawyerhill.org