car sharing
From: Audrey Watson (audreygalisteo.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:42:10 -0800 (PST)
As Rob says, the interesting puzzle is the insurance. At Winslow Cohousing we solved that by separating the car sharing from the community. There is an LLC that owns an electric car and soon will also own a pickup truck. the LLC has insurance which isn't that unreasonable (people below a certain age and above a certain age, I think 70, have to pay more) Individuals join the LLC (buy-in), and then share expenses for the car/truck and there is a sign up sheet for use that I think is kept in the car. These are special purpose vehicles. We live walking distance to town, so walking is always an option as well. There is talk about sharing other cars as well, to reduce the entire net ownership of cars in the community but are still figuring that out.
--audrey
Winslow Cohousing
Bainbridge Island, WA
Message: 9