Re: cost estimates
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:52:15 -0800 (PST)
At 12:55 PM -0500 2/14/10, Diana E Carroll wrote:
The projects that come in on schedule and on budget are the projects
where the clients aren't pushing for lower projections up front when the
schedule and budget are set.

This makes sense to me. You decide what you want, you get a realistic estimate of money and time, then make sure if there are overruns or problems that are not the members' faults, or are directly due to mistakes made by the contractor or developer, they pay for it. In the scenario you described, both the residents and builders were at fault for everything costing more and taking longer.

For people with fewer financial resources, keeping control over costs and schedules is a more important goal than trying to squeeze more out of less time and money. People with the same goals or values might work well in a cohousing project together.

Why is it acceptable to have someone charge you more money than what you originally agreed upon? Just because that's always the way it's been done? Maybe it really is unavoidable, but it really rubs me the wrong way. It makes me think of all the people who ran up their credit cards, then discovered they couldn't make the payments.