Re: Aging in Place: Is your community becoming a NORC?
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:46:34 -0700 (PDT)
I am very curious to see where these discussions go.   I really appreciate
living in a mixed age community, and would find that hard to give up.
One of my grandmothers lived in a minimally assisted living community that
shared the services of one person who came in and helped 10-15 people with an
assortment of chores.  She helped people put on their compression stockings,
getting in and out of the bath,  and some household stuff.  If a community had
a few elders in need of some additional support, and some others in need of a
little help around the house, I'd bet you could find someone happy to work for
many people in the same complex. Another strategy I have seen is for people who
need frequent but non-medical help, who have an extra room, to rent the room to
a college student, starving artist or broke young relative and offer discounted
rent, or no rent in exchange for assistance.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing