Re: Time Banking
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joel,

It was great to see and talk with you at the Conference, and beyond...

Brian, who was the other Songaian that I referenced in the email I just
sent, were talking about the efforts that people go to creating systems that
seek to create accountability and equity. Brian and I talked about our
relationships with other at Songaia and how it might relate to some type of
accounting system to keep track of the contributions that the two of us
make.

We actually found the idea pretty amusing - that it would be absurd to
systematize or "monetize" our relationship, reducing it to hours. For
example, Brian and I are both investors in one of our adjoining properties -
something I instigated, but he made possible through his support -
financial, but more importantly in its business model and through
facilitating some challenging relationships which were critical to resolve
for the project's success. I've helped fund some of his Songaia projects
over the years. He has provided considerable support for some of my
endeavors (including Coho/US, working through issues with my son, and the
property acquisition above). I attended a fundraising auction for the
private "school" that Brian's son attends and bought some stuff. I also
supported my wife as she made some substantial in-kind donations for several
of these auctions over the years.

Anyway, this is NOT to take anything away from the concept of time banking
or the use of similar systems, such as local currency, etc. These make a lot
of sense to me when applied to relationships with less depth, with fewer
interconnections. When talking with Brian about local currency, one of our
thoughts was that it might be useful for "foreign exchange" - what if
Songaia was to collaborate on accumulating time "dollars" that we could bank
for use when we need skills/labor from outside of our community?

Craig