Re: Question about a technique for allocating funds
From: Bryan Syverson (bryan.syversonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:51:05 -0700 (PDT)
We used a ?dot vote? for this last year. Almost identical to the budget fair
you describe.  It worked pretty well.  We had items with vastly different
costs.

If you don?t know about dot voting ?

Print up an 8½ x 11 sheet with each candidate. Give each member a number of
stickers (I don?t remember exactly how many we used ? 5-8).  Each member
votes by placing as many stickers as they want on the proposed projects.
They can weigh their vote: they can put all of their dots on project A or
spread them around as they choose.

This doesn?t solve the problem you?re concerned about.  In fact, that exact
problem came up.  The way I solved it was, after the dot vote, to compile
the project list in order of preference.  I then presented a proposal to
either (1) fund #1, #3, and #4, and skip #2 or (2) fund #2 alone.  In our
group, the preferences were pretty clear and there wasn?t a lot of
contention, so we quickly chose option (1) by consensus.  So it took two
meetings instead of one, but I think most everyone was satisfied with the
outcome.

-Bryan Syverson

Treasurer, La Querencia HOA (Fresno, CA)