Re: Fannie Mae
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:17:14 -0700 (PDT)
I've been working with banks on mortgages a LOT lately and banks are
VERY cautious when it comes to anything that might potentially get in
the way of their ability to do exactly what they want, when they want.

Consider this scenario:
- buyer makes offer, offer is accepted by seller.  offer includes 6
weeks to close.
- HOA exercises their right of first refusal
- after 6 weeks, HOA fails to close
- original buyer has long since moved on to another property, no sale
goes through

Heck, consider even worse: the HOA does NOT want the property sold for
some reason, and repeats the above on multiple occasions.

What happens then?
- seller gets frustrated and stops paying the mortgage

Is this likely?  From the bank's perspective, yes.  Condos (and worse,
coops) were hit disproportionately hard by the recent mortgage
collapse, and one (smallish) part of the reason was because of HOA
restrictions on selling.  Banks are very jittery around condos these
days, and will walk away from mortgages that look even a LITTLE iffy.

It's helpful to think of things from the banks' perspectives.  They
don't know anything about cohousing.  They don't know anything about
your HOA.  They need policies that protect them risk.  This is true of
individual banks and even MORE true of Fannie Mae, which absorbs the
risk without getting any say in which mortgages are accepted other
than through the "brute force" mechanism of a mortgage acceptance
checklist!

- Diana