Re: Trim Your Tails
From: Doug Chamberlin (chamberlin.douggmail.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
On 3/15/11 10:53 AM, Sheila Hoffman wrote:
S: You're correct that context is important which is why it's suggested that
we include the relevant snippet being addressed.
I agree with everything Sheila has said.

I'd also like to add that when you fail to properly quote the previous email (here referred to as not trimming your tail) the resulting buildup of "context" quickly overwhelms your contribution in size. I've seen many messages where the accumulated context is tens of thousands of lines - all carried along in each message just so one or two additional lines can be added. When each of those messages is propagated to a large audience it slows everything down and is completely unnecessary.

This happens easily when people top-post (add their comment to the top instead of the bottom) in replies because there is no incentive to trim the remainder of the message. Top-posting is another annoying habit I wish everyone would avoid.