Re: Group Think
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:12:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

Here at JP Cohousing we've adopted a process from Laird Schaub where an idea needs at least three meetings (often more) to become consensed as a proposal: one to obtain input from the group on the original question/idea, one to discuss a proposal that a committee (or individual) has created from that input, and one to adopt the proposal as changed from that meeting. In between meetings, we encourage discussion and objections. Hopefully by the time a proposal finally comes up for consensus, all considerations and objections would have been raised and addressed. So far, while we have at times been disgusted by the length of time it has taken to come to a decision (sometimes a year or more), we have not yet regretted a decision we have reached by that process.

The times we have either had blocks of consensus or regrets about a decision have been where we felt pressed for time and didn't allow things to percolate to a conclusion. I imagine the Bay of Pigs decision felt the pressure of time as well!

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing