Re: Smart Meters in communities?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
On 8 Jul 2011, at 12:46 PM, Norman Gauss wrote:

> Smart Meters are electronic devices that transmit electricity consumption
> instantaneously to the power company.

Another advantage is that the utility company knows in an emergency whether
power is being  used. A few years ago we had city-wide storm damage with
thousands of people without power for days, many for over a week. When power
started coming back on, Pepco couldn't determine which houses and blocks were
back up without driving up and down the streets, which was still pretty
impossible with snow, ice, downed trees, etc. So they would put out an
announcement that everything was fixed and wait for phone calls. Neither
reassuring nor efficient.

I don't even play a physicist on TV but I suspect that cell phones, DVRs, TVs,
leaking electrical wired, etc. are cumulatively more danger than smart meters
which are not even in our living spaces.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines in Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca