Re: Love your budget process?
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:10:59 -0700 (PDT)
I don't know if we _love_ our present budget process. It is a change from our original process, and has worked well now for 4 years.

The budget is in two parts: fixed and pledge. The fixed part includes projected Common House utilities, insurance, capital reserve, snow removal, safety items, tax preparation, taxes, licenses, and a contingency fund of about 6% of operating expenses. The pledge part is everything else, including a discretionary fund of about 6% of operating expenses.

Committees submit budgets to the Finance Committee budget "director" who creates a spreadsheet of everything, with details included. The sheet includes the monthly dues required to meet the proposed budgets offered. The average amount required for the pledge budget is calculated in two different ways - with two different results - see later)

At a first plenary meeting all budget items (fixed and pledge) are considered one at a time. Fixed budget items tend to go through unchanged, with only questions and explanations before reaching consensus on the fixed budget. For the pledge budget, committees make arguments for their proposed expenditures. By an informal sense-of-the-meeting process, committees adjust their budgets in real time to broadly meet community wishes. After everything has been considered once, the spreadsheet is redrawn and reconsidered at a second meeting. At the second (and third if needed) meeting further sense-of-the-meeting adjustments are made to the proposed pledge budget, until such time as the plenary consenses to say it is ready for the pledge drive.

In the pledge drive households are invited to offer a confidential pledge amount over and above the required fixed amount. The actual pledges are known to only two people: the budget "director" and the treasurer.

The fixed amount of the dues is the total fixed budget divided by the number of houses with distinct postal addresses in the community. The number of persons living in the house: adults, children and/or renters does not affect the fixed dues. (Annually around budget time there tend to be some conversations about the fairness of multi-person families in the larger homes, perhaps with a renter, paying the same as a single people living in a smaller home, but there is seemingly insufficient desire or energy to seek a change.)

The Finance Committee provides homeowners with _two_average pledge amounts required to balance the proposed pledge budget. The first is calculated the same way as the fixed budget amount: total pledge budget divided by the number of houses with distinct postal addresses. The second one is total pledge budget divided by the total number of adults, including renters, living in the community. Homeowners are invited to consider which number is more appropriate and fair for them to use as a guide towards determining a pledge amount. Of course the suggestion is that the multi-adult homes may wish to multiply the second guidance number by the number of adults in the home. We haven’t had to decide what age signifies an adult (yet).

We also publish a self-questionnaire (inspired by Quaker thinking) asking people to examine (privately to themselves) what they get from the community, what they contribute (in all forms) to the community, and what resources (of all kinds) they may have.

Homeowners may pledge any amount including $0. If they chose to _not_make a pledge their dues will be set at the level of total budget (fixed and pledge) divided by the number of houses with distinct postal addresses. The pledges made have a wide distribution. The actual numbers are kept confidential.

After a pledge deadline passes the actual pledge total is compared with that required to meet the proposed pledge budget. If the result is a shortfall, this is communicated to the community by email with an invitation (totally optional) to individuals to adjust their pledge, and the value of the average pledge increase needed to balance the budget.

When the pledge process is complete the plenary will then, if necessary, reduce the pledge budget to align with the total pledges made, and then consense on that as the final pledge budget.

We have used this process four times now starting with the 2008 budget. In the first year, the initial pledges slightly exceeded the requirements. Since then there has been a small shortfall each year in the initial pledge round, but so far the final pledge total has always met the budget.

Michael - budget director for the 2011 budget of our SW Virginia cohousing community.