Re: Affordable Cohousing Model?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:24:20 -0700 (PDT)
I think what we're seeing is an explosion in creative housing solutions partly
due to the market but also shifting social mores as people realize being
isolated is not healthy.

This coop you identified in S. Austin is almost too good to be true.  For one
thing … it's CLEAN.  Having lived in a group house w/ 8+ people plus cats it
was a challenge keeping up but we did it.  As w/ your idea, it was a McMansion.
 My rooms were indeed a suite and I shared a BA w/ just one other person.  So
that was nice!  However, it was not a shared ownership model and I did NOT like
living w/ the owner who had the first and last word on everything.  I left
after about 9 mos. I think.

I love these models that are popping up.  And I'm keeping this one for sure as
it's a model for a "Golden Girls" type living arrangement.  I get calls about
GGs at least 3x's a month.  So now I can refer people to this site!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC