Re: Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"
From: Mary Ann Clark (drmaryannmac.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
We also have the possibility for majority vote if a block can not be resolved.

However, we've discovered when we got more explicit that blocks had to be based
on our agreed up Vision and Mission or a strong concern for the welfare of the
community and developed an explicit procedure for dealing with blocks that
frivolous blocks and blocks based on personality issues that had nothing to do
with issue at hand became so rare as to be non-existent. As someone else
mentioned earlier, we require that at least one other person in the room sees
the sense of a block. We have developed a process that might require multiple
meetings to resolve the block but that assures that the blocker is sincere and
that the rest of the community has the time to seriously consider what the
blocker has to say. We've had the opinion of the community make a 180 degree
turn base on a group of blockers whose concerns were not heard and considered
earlier in the process.

Consensus can be messy and time-consuming. We often say a dictatorship would be
faster and cleaner but we wouldn't be happy with the results ;-)

Mary Ann
in Manzanita Village where a cold front has given up a taste of winter but
fall's coming back tomorrow