Re: How much liability insurance do other cohousing communities carry?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
How much insurance ... ?

Something didn't go right — and now I'm hurt, or have suffered a loss.  Sure
can't be my own fault, it must be somebody else's fault.  Probably the fault of
somebody else with money, who now owes me something.

That is the sorry state of liability claims in America today, and there's no
evidence that this will soon change.  Living in a such a world, what's the
right answer for insurance?  Cornerstone carries insurance as follows:
Hypothetically, the full replacement value of all 32 units in the invent we are
somehow completely destroyed.  Howvever, this is mostly about fire damage — a
risk, since we are fully sprinklered, that is really quite small.  However, we
have chosen to exclude damage related to flood (a highly specialized and tricky
definition), and to earthquake (low probability, we guess …but wait a minute,
wasn't that a serious earthquake in the Washington DC area just a few weeks ago
… ?)
General liability insurance in the amounts of $1mln per evet and $2mln per year
… But wait a minute, that number means almost nothing unless you read the fine
print of the policy, which will have embedded within it all sorts of
exclusions, deductibles and contingencies.  If you pay attention and bargain
well, you can get some of these weasel clauses out of your policy, but then you
will pay more for it.
In other words, stating a number is almost entirely without meaning unless you
know all the terms and conditions of the policy.  The basic principle of
insurance actuaries is this:  If it probably won't happen, then insurance will
be cheap.  But if there is a reasonable probability that it might happen, then
insurance will be expensive.  Read the fine print.

I am not qualified to advise you or anyone else re how much insurance to carry;
you're on your own for that.  But some things to consider are:
Insurance is meant to forestall utter disaster, not indemnify you against any
and all adversities in life.  So set your deductible as high as you reasonably
can.  How much could your community afford to pay, in the off chance something
goes very wrong?  If you could, under duress and emergency, pull together a
special assessment of $50K, then maybe that's the right number for your
deductible.  Conversely, if even $5K would be hard to come up with, then maybe
that's your deductible — but your policy will cost much more.
Make sure all the vendors working on your property — the cleaners, the
painters, the appliance fixers, the candlestick makers — work for companies
that carry their own worker's comp and liability policies ... and keep copies
of their insurance certificates up to date and on file.  This means that if a
worker gets hurt on your premises, his/her first recourse for restitution is
from an intermediating employer, not from you.  The uninsured self-employed
person is always cheaper by the hour — but this is exactly the kind of person
who may file a claim against you, and win.  If this is the person you like to
hire, then keep your liability and worker's comp policies in especially good
order.
Work to eliminate hazards, especially for visitors, children and the elderly.
So what happens on residential properties, anyway?  At the top of the list are
slip and fall, usually due to improperly built stairs, irregular pavings or
ice, loose rugs without friction pads, and debris (toys, empty boxes, etc) left
in poorly lighted pathways.  Then there is the issue of sharp knives or
dangerous tools left lying around.  Then there is faulty electrical wiring
(ga-ZAPP!).  But the list is not endless; the list is in fact predictable and
manageable.  If you devise and implement a community safety plan ("Risk
Assessment"), two good things happen:  (1) you actually reduce the probability
of somebody getting hurt; and (2) claims against you for negligence are easier
to defend.
If you have a good insurance agent, s/he will be willing to review all this and
more with you.  Good luck.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5