Re: Rental policies
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:27:27 -0800 (PST)
> 1) We don't want to lose the cohousing feel of our community - with only
14 households, we fear a lot of rentals will erode owner interest and
community participation.

Although I have lived in CH for only a short time (< 3 years), my
experience here has mirrored my experience in life: making LAWS against
things that you fear will hurt your culture is not an effective tool.

I do not believe there's anything you can do in your CCRs to preserve you
community's cohousing feel and make sure interest and participation remains
high.  You can't regulate your way into or out of being a community.

Laws force people who want to do something NOT to (or TO do something they
do NOT want to.)

Preserving your cohousing feel and community participation won't be
enhanced by forcing someone who wants to move out not to, because they
aren't allowed to rent.

If you think rentals detract from the community, you have to make people
not WANT to rent...ie: to stay living there.  You can legislate that.

- Diana