Re: Fannie Mae
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 01:00:15 -0800 (PST)
Nowhere in the Fannie Mae Selling Guide -- a 1,200-page policy manual
describing
the conditions under which Fannie Mae will buy mortgages from lenders -- does
it
mention cohousing or anything resembling cohousing. If you search the Fannie
Mae
web site for "cohousing," you won't get a single hit. If this ever happens
again, ask them to give you the reference to the specific section in the
Selling
Guide. I'm guessing the mortgage broker described it as some kind of group
home.
Fannie is indeed involved in financing some group homes, but I believe they
have
to be occupied by disabled people.

Really, there's no reason to mention cohousing when talking to the bank, unless
it becomes necessary when disputing a low appraisal. Takoma Village is just
another condo. Don't confuse the bankers.

Katie Henry

Fannie Mae

From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri,  2 Dec 2011 20:30:32 -0800 (PST)
Has anyone been refused a mortgage from Fannie Mae because "cohousing wasn't
allowed"?

Several of us have refinanced and had loans immediately sold to Fannie Mae with
no problems but someone's mortgage broker (stupidly) called Fannie Mae to find
out. They said no cohousing.

They then visited our website and found our right of first refusal policy, and
refused on those grounds.