Re: exclusive dinners vs community dinners- Mary Ann
From: John Sechrest (sechrestpeak.org)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:57:15 -0800 (PST)
One of the things that I experienced at a cohousing place that I stayed was
a conflict over the use of the common space. They had one big common room
to eat in. Often, there were other things going on that would have liked to
have some other space. Having one common space for many people is often not
enough.

Take a look at most churches. They have many different segments to support
the needs of the community. As you design the common house, it is worth
considering how you might have different needs at the same time. Dinners
and committees often ended up bumping into each other. Birthday parties and
kids events and shared dinners often ran into each other. At least enough
that I noticed it.

Even restaurants have multiple rooms for different purposes. It is worth
exploring that room behind the bar.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire [at]
gmail.com>wrote:

> Mary Ann, are your community dinners "overcrowded" because your dining room
> is too small, or is it just too noisy, or ...? As we are planning our
> common house, we would like to benefit from others' experience.
>
> Thanks, Jerry

John Sechrest          .
                                       .
                                             .