Re: Acoustics in common house
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:23:39 -0800 (PST)
On 18 Feb 2012, at 12:27 PM, Melanie Mindlin wrote:

> These are about 30" square (the exact size is not important) made out of 2x2
> wood with some light canvas type cloth stretched over the frame and filled
> with blue-jean insulation batts on the top.  These are hung from short chains
> (about 2-3" long) from hooks in the ceiling.  They are in a regular pattern
> with a couple of inches between the panels and can be taken down for cleaning
> if necessary.  We made them ourselves over several community workdays.

A wonderful idea. Where did you get the blue-jean insulation batts? Are they
light so the cloth doesn't sag? or if it does, does it sag evenly?

Is the canvas-type cloth acoustical cloth?

This is the probably next step for us. We've treated two walls  so a
perpendicular surface is next. The floor isn't going to get rugs since it gets
too much use.

They are typically called clouds:

http://www.armstrong.com/commceilingsna/article40471.html

And Wings: