Re: AED in Common House
From: davidbygott [at] yahoo.com (davidbygottyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 06:22:32 -0800 (PST)
We have an AED in our common house, though have fortunately never had to use
it. I think the rationale for having it there was partly that the CH is a
semi-public place where we often have large gatherings of non-residents, as
well as our own meetings, dinners and parties. An unspoken subtext could be the
stress induced by the monthly community meeting, though improved facilitation
training has greatly reduced that :) Also, response time from our local
hospital is at least 10 minutes, time enough that the AED might make a
difference.

A modern AED is designed to be used by people with little or no experience, and
the machine talks you through the procedure. I think it's a good idea to have
one, mounted on the wall in a prominent place, with periodic 'refreshers' to
remind people where it is, when & how to use it, and to replace batteries.

David Bygott
Milagro Cohousing, Tucson AZ