Re: Property Managers In Cohousing
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:08:37 -0800 (PST)
Louise L <llpens3601 [at] gmail.com>
after deleting quoted digest and replacing 'dogest' subject line

Though I don't live in a co-housing development, I live in a townhouse
condo.  I can't imagine how any such housing complex can operate
effectively without a professional manager.  The board is still in
charge, the management company makes all of the arrangements to have
work done, and they can advise us of what needs to be done and the
best way to proceed.  Because the management company is made up of
professionals they know how to get things done in the most efficient
way and they know the law.  Our management company has saved us
thousands of dollars because of their knowledge, their connections and
their expertise in running condo associations.  Our complex would be
in big trouble if we didn't have them and had to depend solely on the
board, who are, in fact, amateurs at running a housing complex.  It is
not a place for amateurs.  This is not a criticism of boards, but a
fact of life.  It would be on the same level as a person facing a
legal charge acting as his or her own lawyer.  It is asking for
trouble either in the short or long term, or both.

Louise