Re: Value-added
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 15:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
I think any multi family housing development, organized as either cooperative
or condominium, will have value added if it appears stable, safe and
well-maintained.  And shared assets, like a pool and poolhouse, will add value
for people who like to swim, or to socialize in bathing suits.  But ...

Will the fact that a development follows cohousing community principles add
value to the unit sales price?  Well, it might, if (a) the buyer is among that
minority interested in cohousing and living in community, and (b) if the
community in question looks happy and successful.  But for the majority of
buyers NOT interested in communal living, the cohousing model will be a minus,
not a plus.  Even if a coho community is not dysfunctional and factionalized --
in fact, is happy and successful -- it will often have a particular identity
emphasis -- like farming, or community singing, or retirement -- that will
focus its appeal on a very limited subset of shoppers.

My point is that cohousing may very well incorporate social capital that is
undeniably of value to those living in it, but this value may not translate
immediately into sales price in the open market, when compared to "regular"
housing nearby.  The real trick is that of making sure appropriate buyers are
available or findable in the time frame the unit is on the market.

None of which speaks to the question of the community bank account profiting
from a felicitous match of buyer and seller.

RPD

Sent from my iPad