size of dishwasher, refrigerator, etc
From: Susan Coberly (susandgeorgegmail.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 18:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
Susan from Fresno Cohousing/ La Querencia, Fresno Ca responding re sizes

D/W: 24" is standard. 18" is cute, but it is currently more expensive to
replace.  (That may change if a lot of demand occurs for 18"...) My 24" GE
d/w is very quiet.  It was installed in all homes except the downstairs 2
bd flats; 18" ones were installed in the downstairs 2 bd flats. We were
informed this would be to allow the provision of additional clear space by
the entry door for "accessibility." I don't use the heating element in my
d/w. I run it full 4 times a week or so, and open it to air dry after the
cycle is done.

Refrigerator: be sure to measure standard universally available American
refrigerators. Look on line at Sears - they have dimensions.... 30" is a
good width. My space is 29.5" + a schosh.  Widths of spaces vary between
all unit types here. I believe the 4 bd house has 34" space.  Also watch
for cabinets installed over the fridge space... they have had to be raised
in our community to allow refrig height.

washer/dryer: In my 3 bd / 2.5 townhouse the w/d closet is upstairs.  I
decided just to use the washers and dryers in the common house. That way I
avoid a potential flood from an overflowing washing machine ruining both
floors and the stairway - not to mention having to clean out the venting
duct for the dryer across the ceiling of the adjacent bedroom..somehow.