Cultural attitudes toward death and cohousing
From: Deborah Carey (boiestergmail.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 04:15:32 -0700 (PDT)
"One thing remains unchanged, however?the cultural anathema of death. Even 40
years after psychiatrist Elisabeth K?bler-Ross?s groundbreaking book On Death
and Dying, we still struggle with the inevitability of our own mortality, or a
loved-one?s death, when all medical solutions have been exhausted. Design,
however, can be useful in this difficult period of both certainty and
uncertainty about the end.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD"

Hospice provides a great service to our lives.  Thank you for reminding us of
this and that design can be helpful.  Hospice Inpatient Environments, written
so long ago, was about the opportunities that thoughtful design can create in
this field.  I know of a cohousing where a resident who worked at hospice moved
in temporarily to take care of another resident who was dying.

Deborah Carey, author
boiester [at] gmail.com