Re: Homeless Cohousing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 04:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
I am in full agreement that America in general needs to invent, tolerate and
support a wider range of living accommodations.  Be advised, however, that the
model describe below does not fit well at all with most zoning and building
codes.  If it is ownership, what lender will accept the mortgage; if it is
rental, then who is responsible for running it?  And finally, many or most of
the homeless have serious personality problems that prevent them from living
normally, never mind collaboratively.  If this is a community of the previously
homeless, then the residents are high-functioning, cream of the crop.

An alternative model — one with its own set of challenges — is that of
cohousing owned and operated by a majority of “normal” people, but also having
a few specialty units for special populations.  This helps dodge the problem of
housing projects that concentrate special needs people all in one place — sort
of like a nuclear reactor with no damper rods.

RPD