Re: compost
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (kwilsonfiskcomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
[My community is committed to a re-design of our compost
system ........... We have four goals for this re-design:
rat-proof, largely odor-free, aesthetic, and efficient and
effective for residents.]

We have two three-bin compost structures, built to official
specs. They work - sort of. Even though a human turns the
compost regularly, the final compost is pretty raw. They are
probably too small for the amount of compost we generate.

In contrast, my husband always had at least two huge compost
piles (perhaps 5' x 10' and 3-4' high) with no structures.
They were level on top and looked very neat. His compost was
beautiful, and it never needed turning. You could run your
fingers through the finished compost, and it felt soft and
fine.

One year his daughters' big old dog died, and they buried it
in the middle of his big compost pile. By summer, there was
nothing left but a piece of hip bone. His secret?

His "compost bible" was his old, worn, green Rodale
composting book. I have donated this book to our common
house library and talked up its magical properties to the
compost team, but, so far, AFAICT, no one has even peeked at
it.

This is probably the updated version of his old book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Rodale-Book-Composting-Gardener/dp
/0878579915

So now you know.

Kay