Re: Management Software?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 14:59:00 -0800 (PST)
Norman —

I use Dropbox for a variety of things, and it works fine, as far as it goes.
Basically, it stores stuff in the cloud such that you can get your stuff from
anywhere, and also assign download and/or posting privileges to specific
individuals (or, your entire community membership).

But Dropbox is not very interactive.  For that, you need something like a
“wiki”, which allows for sharing, edition management, co-authoring, and dialog.
 The one we’ve tried and liked (some of us, anyway) is a free service provided
by PBWorks.  There are many other wiki services available, but the free
versions are typically too crippled (too few participants, not enough storage)
to be useful to cohos.  The paid versions will often be more than you need, and
cost a couple of thousand a year for site access and maintenance.

Two really big things to watch out for:
     ? Will most of the community agree to learn and use and semi-technical web
service?  And,
     ? How much web-based collaboration do you want?  I’ve found that providing
broad write privileges to spreadsheets, text docs and databases usually results
in document files that are either incomprehensible or ruined.

RPD