Re: Retrofit Cohousing Panel for National Conference in NC (Jane Calbreath)
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 07:54:18 -0800 (PST)
Folks —

As a practicing architect, the terms I am familiar with are “adaptive re-use”
and “retrofit”.  Even professionals tend to use them interchangeably, although
I think they might have slightly different meanings:
Adaptive re-use is the general strategy of taking a building, or set of
buildings, originally built for one purpose or use, and adapting it to a new
purpose or use.  Like, take the vacant Catholic convent, and turn it into
secular assisted living — or, cohousing.  Or, take a bunch of duplexes lined up
on a neighborhood street, renovate one as the common house, and declare the
ensemble to be cohousing.  Adaptive re-use stands in contrast to purpose-built:
Something built from the get-go for a specific purpose, like a retail store
(built for retail, not for daycare, which needs more windows ...)
Retrofit is more specific to components and technology: Like, retrofit your
computer with a faster video card, or an apartment building with a ground
source heat pump.  When the project is complete, it’s still a computer or an
apartment building.  But sometimes retrofits are an essential ingredient of an
adaptive re-use project.
In many but not all cases, adaptive re-use involves major compromises that
purpose-built designs can usually avoid.  Maybe in an ideal circumstance, one’s
cohousing project will include a wide range of unit types, and universal
accessibility.  Unfortunately, the pre-existing duplex structures defy those
goals, unless you “renovate” them out of existence — and now you’re back to
purpose-built (but at a higher cost).

Cornerstone first considered buying up a set of identical-design, close-pack
rental duplexes in an urban neighborhood.  But it turned out that buying out
all the various leases was more of an obstacle than the founders or the
landlord understood, and we eventually moved on to explore other sites.  Any
professional developer knows that one of the big challenges is parcel assembly,
and many development ideas collapse early because assembly turns out to be
impossible.

RPD