Re: Parking (was Building with Equal Access & Preparing for electric cars on site)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 09:00:53 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:

> The disagreement remains the same,
> between those who prefer our current informal allocation of one closer and
> one farther-away space per unit with no Reserved Parking signs (so
> sometimes you might come home and find only a very far-away space to park
> because a visitor innocently parked in "your" spot) and those who want to
> formally allocate two spaces per unit, one closer and one farther away, the
> spaces to convey with the units.

Before we moved in, the issue of assigned or unassigned spaces came up. The
comment that sealed the deal concerned a doctor who came home at all hours of
the night and for safety needed a set place to park. It is faster and more
assured. Less exposure to possible lurkers.

So we have always had assigned parking but people trade all the time for one
reason or another. It is also more relaxing to pull into an assigned spot than
know you have to look for one.

Some spaces are for compact cars and some for full size. We had far less
problem with people parking in the wrong spaces or parking in the lot when they
weren't supposed to when we numbered the spaces. That signaled "reserved." It
still happens sometimes but not as frequently as before.

There isn't a huge difference in how far the parking spaces are from the CH but
some homes are far from the parking lot. Those people often park in the street
for that reason. It's much closer.

The idea that parking near the CH will mean people will come in the CH has not
proven true. And having a common parking lot I don't think has led to more
interaction, perhaps for some. I don't drive everyday. But I don't think
putting parking on the outside of the community requires having all the parking
in one place. If it can be done without creating roads that have to be
maintained, I think it would be preferable to have cars or other transportation
near homes.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines