Re: cohousing equal access - equal opportunity?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:43:44 -0800 (PST)
Hello Malcolm and all —

O good!  A chance to piggy-back!

TVC now has a Resale & Rental Pod which smoothes the way for sellers, buyers,
would be landlords and tenants.   We have done basically the same thing you
have done at Springhill, Malcolm.  Would love to exchange specifics w/ you
about how your program works.

At TVC, we found there was so much information to transmit we broke it into
chunks that are disseminated  before the sale or rental, after the sale or
rental closes or lease is signed, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week prior to move in,
and, finally, day of move in.  After move-in, The Orientation Pod is
responsible for acclimating new folks to life at TVC.  New folks are assigned a
buddy from the Orientation Pod to help them navigate the sometimes wandering
path of living at TVC.

This process has proven very effective in helping sellers and landlords
traverse an intense transition, making new folks feel welcomed, bringing
donations of over $19k from three resales into the community while saving each
homeowner an average of $20k. And … unexpectedly and gratefully …
reinvigorating our workshare program.

I will be presenting on Takoma Village Cohousing’s resale and rental program at
the upcoming CohoUS conference end of May.  (Please note segue into shameless
marketing for the conference…) I invite you to attend my session and learn how
we have managed to weave all this together.  It’s been truly effective in
bringing vim, vigor and stability to our community.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC