Re: CoHo Condo Fees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 07:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:58 PM, Chris ScottHanson <cscotthanson [at] mac.com>
> wrote:
>
> If a community chooses to share any of these utility costs they can often
> save money on their monthly budget but, the condo fees are going to be higher
> and the separate utility fees will be lower.

For those who never thought about this before they moved into cohousing,  a
monthly water bill has a minimum charge. A one person household probably won't
ever reach the minimum. If the water bill is aggregated, you pay only for the
water, not the service charges for each unit.

A tip is to remind people to conserve so the habit of "I'm not paying for it so
what?" doesn't take hold. Averaged over households, we use far less than the
average household.

We have business class service for two business class modems that serve the
whole community. It's substantially less than if each household had their own
modems, with faster speeds and better response times when we (rarely) need
servicing. We have one from RCN and one from Comcast so we have backup if one
company's power goes out.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines