Re: Townhouse for sale, Cornerstone Village Cohousing, (North) Cambridge, MA
From: Mabel Liang (mabeltwomeeps.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 07:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

Pasting in the text. Ask Jory if you want the attachment with the
pictures.

There is an open house 1-3 this afternoon.

-- Mabel :-)

mabel [at] twomeeps.com
Mabel Liang
Software Engineer turned Gardener

Townhouse
North Cambridge
3 ½ Bedrooms
2 ½ bathrooms, available at:
CORNERSTONE VILLAGE COHOUSING
Cornerstone Village Cohousing is a 32-unit complex located in North
Cambridge bordering the Minute Man bike trail. It is a five-minute walk
to the Alewife T station or a 12-minute walk to Davis Square with its
variety of ethnic restaurants, shopping and transportation.
A wonderful concept in housing, Cornerstone is one of a handful of
cohousing communities in the Boston area. Modeled on the European
concept of shared community and private living space, cohousing offers a
unique blend of both.
Common areas include an arts and crafts room and separate playroom for
children; a large common room complete with a community kitchen and
dining facility for all the residents. There is a "quiet room" where one
can read a book or organize a game or watch a movie. There is also a
wood working shop, guest room with bath that is available for residents
to reserve, an exercise room, and bike storage area. A large newly
constructed room with a giant TV monitor serves as a meeting or social
room. In addition there are outdoor community gardens, lawns, patios,
barbeque grills, garden shed and children's playground.
183 Harvey Street is a townhouse in the center of the community. From
the back, it looks onto the Cambridge Minuteman bike path. It is sunny,
open, has 1,775 square feet of living space on three floors, and an
unfinished basement offering plenty of storage and a washer/dryer. The
unit includes large closets in all bedrooms, hardwood floors throughout
and central air conditioning.
The first floor is an open space with kitchen, dining and living room,
and a wheelchair accessible half-bathroom. The kitchen includes a gas
stove, dishwasher and refrigerator. There is a front yard garden and a
shared backyard patio and grill.
The second floor offers two large bedrooms, and a recently renovated
full bath. The third floor "suite" is a bedroom and open den with closet
and another full bathroom.

The concept behind cohousing originated in Denmark in the 1960's and
gained momentum in the 1970's, where land and housing costs were at a
premium. Buyers came together and formed units of cluster housing.
Buyers could then have land space left over for courtyards, gardening,
playgrounds, or valuable open space.
Today Cornerstone Village Cohousing is a vital community environment
that strives for consensus. Our vision statement includes: "We believe
that people who have connections to others in a community context live
richer and happier."
The community has a number of celebrations and rituals that residents
can choose to participate in, including a communal meal each Sunday,
annual talent show, field day, spring Carnevale, Pysanky egg dyeing,
music share, Halloween party, 4th of July BBQ, and many other planned
and spontaneous gatherings. Some families share childcare, others
regularly attend concerts together, and children in the community will
often find neighbors showing up for their school plays and sporting
events.
For more information on Cornerstone Cohousing, visit:
www.cornerstonecohousing.org
For a recent article on living at Cornerstone Cohousing, see:
http://www.nowu.com/article/connect/sharing-responsibilities-joys-of-daily-living/17680497/
Google or Yahoo Map - Harvey Street at Jackson Street
The listing price is $825,000. Please contact Jory Agate via email
(joryagate [at] gmail.com) or by phone (617-480-1666) for more information
and the membership committee at membership-outreach [at] cscoho.org
Outdoor Amenities:
· Playground with swings and slides
· Two outdoor patio areas with grills
· Flower garden and community vegetable garden
· Private off street parking, on the corner of Harvey & Jackson Streets
· Composting bins in the back
· Community Dining room with large working kitchen
· Located 5-minute walk to Alewife T-stop on the Red Line
· Adjacent to Minute Man Bike Path
· Walk or Bike into Davis or Porter Squares
Specifications:
Year built: completed in 2001
Taxes: $3,005
Condo fee: $278 a month includes water, sewer, master insurance and
annual community expense (fluctuates year to year depending on
expenses);
There is a Condo Repair/Replacement Reserve that is amply funded to
ensure future building expenses are covered. The fee structure for the
reserve is determined every five years by the community members.
Mechanicals:
Heating: Forced air, gas furnace
Electricity: Circuit breakers 100 amps
Foundation: Poured Concrete,
Roof: Asphalt Shingle
Central A.C.
Exterior: Clapboard
Solar panels to be installed this spring will defray electric costs