Re: Fair Housing Act and community desires for "diversity"
From: Mabel Liang (mabeltwomeeps.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

Sure, you can have a preference for someone who has in some way
expressed an interest in cohousing.

However, age _is_ a protected class. We had someone from the City of
Cambridge come talk to us about Fair Housing. When someone asked how we
could phrase a preference for young families with children, she said
(I'm paraphrasing, because I wasn't able to attend), "I'm not going to
help you break the law."

My interpretation of what we have done is to target our _marketing_
efforts.

In about the last year or year-and-a-half we've had 2 toddlers move in
and 2 babies born.

-- Mabel :-)

mabel [at] twomeeps.com
Mabel Liang
Software Engineer turned Gardener
Cornerstone Village Cohousing, Cambridge, MA