Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 140, Issue 3
From: Ruth J Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 18:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
Maraiah Lynn,
very helpful,  very very helpful!
many thanks,
Ruth

Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 12:45:47 -0700
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah <welcome [at] olympus.net>
To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
Subject: [C-L]_ Common house kitchen flooring

We have been using our common house for 15 years. Our flooring choices have
seemed to work well. Stony tile in the front hall and bathrooms, bamboo in the
rec room, oak in the dining/great room, and Marmoleum in the kitchen/pantry and
in what was for years the young-kid room, and is now a small lounge for small
meetings, or for viewing video.

The request was made, on this list, to review kitchen flooring. Marmoleum is
"real" linoleum, with cork (if I remember right) ground up with a binder and
calendared onto a jute backing.
Advantages: It is relatively soft, so dropped dishes almost bounce, seldom
breaking. It has been easy to maintain: a dark swirly color doesn't show minor
dirt. I use a beeswax-based floor polish a few times a year, and just damp mop
the rest of the time. It looks sort of home-y, especially to those of us who
grew up with linoleum floors.

Disadvantages: It's fairly expensive, and should be installed by someone
certified to do so. (Watch out for nails in the subfloor that may work their
way up over the years, making little bumps in the surface. Its softness is a
disadvantage in two ways: it will nick if something hard and heavy is dropped
on it; it will corrode in contact with some chemicals, including some of what
our commercial dishwasher uses: the slight splashes underneath evolved into
pits in the flooring before we noticed and added a big tray there. When first
installed, the linseed oil in it gives off a scent.

But in 15 years, we've only sustained a couple of nicks, and a couple of
places cleaning chemicals pitted. Overall, I'm pleased with it, and in most
places it looks as good as new.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA

PS:  I have an intermittent e-mail glitch.  If you write and do not hear back
from me shortly, please call me or please re-send.  Thank you,  Ruth