Re: Words I Wish We Used
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 07:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
In re:  using the term “Common House”

I’m not sure I buy BIG HOUSE as more descriptive than COMMON HOUSE.

COMMON— that which we share together + HOUSE — a building for people =
activities that people do together in a building made for them.  As in:  break
bread together.

Culturally, people who live in the BIG HOUSE are/were the ranch and plantation
owners.  The privileged.  Not great connotation for cohousing.  Big House also
refers to Prison as in He or she is in the Big House.

I’ll stick w/ Common House.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing