Re: Commitments to community
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 08:18:40 -0800 (PST)
Apologies for coming late to the discussion. We have a really robust work
culture here, and it’s all entirely voluntary. I think that’s because the
appreciation is always flowing, verbalized and feted, and so work offerings are
considered part of our socializing.

Having said that, we do have a few (very few) people who like to swan at the
work parties—they make a big show of attending and greeting everyone but if you
watch closely they always have someone to talk to, or a plant to deliver, or
have to get a bottle of water and so they dodge in and out and never actually
get anything done! Ditto for teams. Sometimes the most visible or vocal
individuals are not really accomplishing much outside of their own interests,
while our quiet heroes like our reclusive chessmaster, IT team, maintenance
team, are quietly getting stuff done every day!

But you know what? That’s a society. Everyone is different. If you replace the
word ‘swan’ with ‘greeter’ then those individuals bring the sunshine and
smiles, and that’s an important contribution too.

While respecting your concern, I think that imposing mandatory participation in
anything is not a good idea. 1) I believe it’s disrespectful—it says, in
effect, that your citizens are untrustworthy and need to be policed. 2) It
squashes individuality. 3) Someone has to constantly be the participation
police, and who really wants that job? And 4) I think if a community is lacking
in participation, the reasons are much deeper than you realize.

Regards,
Mary B.
The Cohousing Life