Re: Affordable Housing
From: Virgil Huston (virgil.huston1955gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 21:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
These are all good points. I have a concept that would significantly
improve the homeless problem, but in thinking about it, it could also
apply to cohousing. Because it actually is cohousing and is
affordable. It could be as elaborate as you want it to be. Or not.

The holdups are all legal, restrictive laws and community resistance
to anything that might "lower property values and introduce
undesirables into the area." Remember, homelessness does not exist in
affluent neighborhoods. They say it doesn't. Even though it does.

I spent 2 1/2 years in military "cohousing" in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Sometimes it was a tent with others. If I was lucky, it was a plywood
walled room of my own. There were toilet and shower trailers. There
was AC and heat, there was electricity. There were mess tents. There
were recreation tents. Our work spaces were tents or trailers. We got
by. It wasn't even that bad, especially if you had your own room with
80 square feet of privacy. That was bliss. On the upper end were
trailers with a private room and a shared toilet between two rooms.
That is what State Department people have in Iraq now. I never got
that good as a soldier.

Imagine a vacant lot in an blighted urban area with jobs nearby. Tents
or tiny houses. Showers and toilets. Place to eat, place to watch TV
or use a computer. Place to do job training. Place for mental health.
Outdoor recreation like basketball court and tables to sit at and hang
out. Prime power or even a generator. Security and safety.

Step it up a bit and you have affordable cohousing.

Virgil