Re: Capital Improvements Funds
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
Berkeley Cohousing - we have one that was set up in the beginning of the
community. We have condo structure, and the fee that is added to the monthly
HOA fees, about $35 per unit per month. The fees are now indexed to inflation,
so they will go up regularly. They have allowed us to make some improvements
like fences, storage sheds, modernization of common kitchen. We typically save
it up and spend it down every 3-4 years for something big. The decision-making
process is like any other big project. It has forced us to consider whether a
project is a new enhancement (which comes from Capitalization funds) vs.
replacement of existing structures (which comes from Replacement Reserves.)
It's been quite handy to have this fund. We are financially conservative
community with many older, single women residents, so the monthly "tax" is more
palatable than a big outlay.

Hope this is helpful! Mariana