Re: Groups.io [was How does your community handle internal communications?
From: John Sechrest (sechrestgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 07:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
For those of you with a gmail service, you might want to know about the
<MORE> button on the top right, which has a "mute" function for email
conversations. Which gives you a poor-man's version of mute thread in
groups.io

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Beverly Jones Redekop <
beverly.jones.redekop [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> #7 sounds amazing!!!! That would solve most of the "too many messages"
> issues.
>
> "7. Each subscriber can mute a message thread. Like the recent gardening
> dispute or the nanny requests, one can select mute and not see any other
> messages in that thread. Your own groups page shows what threads you have
> muted."
>
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016, 12:46 PM Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
> sharonvillines.com>
> wrote:
>

> > > On Sep 18, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Beverly Jones Redekop <
> > beverly.jones.redekop [at] gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > An hour away, at Groundswell Cohousing at Yarrow Ecovillage, we use a
> > > Google group email too. In the footer of each message is a link to the
> > > "cheat sheet" with links to everything (calendar, community dinner
> > > schedules, guidelines for using our wastewater system, members of
> > > committees, minutes, etc...). A lot of this will move to a new website
> or
> > > strata software "soon," but we've been using the Google group for seven
> > > years.
> >
> > A new platform for group communications is Groups.io. They just
> > transferred my ~3000 member neighborhood list from Yahoo without a hitch.
> > All settings remained the same. They also transferred the 12 years of
> > archives — the list now receives ~900 emails a month. They can’t transfer
> > files. We had watched YahooGroups decline in services and reliability for
> > years but exploration of Google resulted in the conclusion that it was
> not
> > much better and we couldn’t transfer easily.
> >
> > Groups.io also sent a message to each subscriber explaining the change
> and
> > only one person has asked me what the address of the new group was. 1 of
> > 3,000. I assume I will get more questions later from people who don’t
> read
> > or post often, but that was amazing. People love the new list. (I’m still
> > looking into transferring our cohousing lists.)
> >
> > I pasted in two messages below  that I sent to my list about why
> Groups.IO
> > was better
> >
> > ONE — THOUGHTS ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF CHANGING
> >
> > Groups.io was recommended by a list member. I’ve been exploring it and am
> > considering moving the list there. It has many advantages:
> >
> > 1. They will transfer the whole list and our archives. I have assurances
> > from other groups that this has been done for their much larger lists
> > without a hitch. There are no storage limits except for files and
> > attachments. We don’t allow attachments and don’t use the files often.
> But
> > the limit on those is 1 GB.
> >
> > 2. The list works very much like YahooGroups with many more features.
> >
> > 3. People can sign up using only their name and email address — no
> account
> > set up. No email account. No phone number.

> [...]

John Sechrest      .  Need to schedule a meeting :
http://sechrest.youcanbookme.com
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .