Re: Neighbors who are gone a lot
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
    The only time I can remember it impacting decision making it wasn't a case
of travel but hospitalization.  One of our animal loving residents was
hospitalized for quite a while with a serious health problem during a difficult
community decision making process about having the Racoon family that had taken
up residence on our roof trapped and euthanized.  When the absent resident came
home from the hospital and saw the raccoon in the trap in our garden and heard
that the plan was to kill it, she freaked out and drove off with the raccoon
and trap (which wasn't even ours, it was borrowed), causing much drama and a
more prolonged decision making process.  We were able to convince her
eventually that the remaining raccoon family members had to go and she returned
the trap but it was a challenging situation for us.
     The bottom line is that there are always challenges living in community
and no amount of pre thinking or rule making can eliminate them all.  Having
residents committed to making the effort and having clean, transparent,
consensual decision making processes is about the best you can do.
                     Bonnie Fergusson
                     Swans Market Cohousing
                     Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad