Community Budget Data Solicitation (again)
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 08:01:59 -0800 (PST)
Cohousing Friends —

COHO COST OF LIVING DATA SOLICITATION.  Back in November, we announced that the
Cohousing Research Network (CRN) and CohoUS are collaborating on a “cost of
living in cohousing” research project.  Since then, we’ve received useful and
interesting responses from more than a dozen communities.  Who knew, for
instance, that annual per-unit dues could vary from one coho to another by a
factor of five or more?  Our intent is to continue collecting detailed
information on community budget and finance, and make a report at the CohoUS
national conference in May 2017, Nashville.

HOW YOU CAN HELP.  For this research project, we’ve not designed any long
questionnaire or laborious form requiring you to make unique calculations.  Our
methodology is much simpler:  Just send us your stuff.  The same stuff your
community and its members rely upon for budget and finance matters.  In
particular, what would be useful to us are …
Your most recently adopted annual budget agreement, as consensed by your
community before the beginning of the fiscal year.  For most of you, this will
be the same as the calendar year, ending in December 2017 (thus, FY17).  We’d
like to see the whole proposal you processed and adopted, including
schedule/timeline, text narratives, tables of numbers — whatever it was you
considered during the budget adoption process.  We do NOT need to see any
information about the fees or dues assigned to individual units.
If you have one, any EOY (end of year) financial report you obtained for the
previous fiscal year (probably FY16 ending in December 2016).  Again, take out
any unit-specific information.
When we have this material in hand, we will translate the data into our own
analytic model, lump it together with other data, and analyze it to expose
patterns and develop conclusions we think will be useful to all cohousing
communities.

CONFIDENTIALITY.  Anything you send us will be guarded in strict confidence.
Only the conference panelists and members of the CRN Steering Committee will
have any access to your original files.  Your community’s detailed information
will NOT be shared with consultants, vendors, or even the Board of CohoUS, and
none of our public reports will be in a form where the particulars of your
community can be identified.

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?  We continue to contact many of the communities in our
cohousing directory, but we encourage you to reply to us now.  If you are ready
to volunteer information, you can e-mail to costofliving [at]
cohousingresearchnetwork.org <mailto:costofliving [at]
cohousingresearchnetwork.org>.  Or, if you have questions or comments, please
get in touch with either of us.  Thanks in advance for supporting a project
that should benefit you and your community, and many other intentional
communities as well.

Sincerely,

Philip Dowds
Coho US Board (Treasurer)
rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net> / 617.460.4549
<tel:617.460.4549>

Angela Sanguinetti
CRN Director
cohousingresearchnetwork.org <http://cohousingresearchnetwork.org/> /
angelasanguinetti [at] gmail.com <mailto:angelasanguinetti [at] gmail.com>