Re: storing your community's documents on-line
From: Ruth (ruthcaswellsmithgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:55:03 -0700 (PDT)
At Nubanusit Neighborhood and Farm we store everything on Google Drive.
We've created a folder structure and assign permissions based on folders,
i.e. each team in the community has its own folder and team members have
edit privileges on that folder but everyone else has just view permissions.
  We have an admin user id who owns all the folders and is the only one
with edit privileges on the main folder.  This keeps the structure nice and
tidy.

Permissions sometimes cause problems but generally things work pretty
well.  We have written custom scripts to assign permissions.  This makes
things easier when someone joins or leaves the neighborhood or a team.

When writing meeting minutes, the minute take opens up a Google Doc in the
appropriate folder and types the minutes right there.  They are immediately
available for others to view and/or edit.  We use a naming convention for
files so that things are easily searchable, e.g. "TeamName Meeting Minutes
YYYYMMDD" or similar.

We try to have docs and spreadsheets in the Google format, although
sometimes we upload other formats such as pdf's for maps.

The biggest problem we have (and have not entirely solved) is changing
ownership of documents when someone leaves the community.  We are trying to
move to a system where that person goes through documents they own and
reassigns ownership to the admin id.  However we haven't done that
historically and we still have lots of files that are owned by ex-neighbors
and even deceased neighbors.

Ruth Smith