Re: Including disabled people in cohousing, especially forming communities
From: Joan Sidney (jssidneysidneyfamily.org)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
I have advanced MS & am interested in this question. I'm in Storrs, CT.
Where's the nearest co-housing?
Thanks,
Joan

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Allison Tom <allison.tom [at] telus.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is a significant tangent from the discussion on slush funds, but the
> spirit of the conversation has moved me to write with my question/topic.
>
> What have communities done to include members who have significant
> disabilities?  In particular, has anyone successfully negotiated the
> challenge of including disabled people in a forming community?
>
> I ask because I regretfully left a forming community almost two years ago
> because of an exhausting chronic health condition.  I’m now on the waiting
> list to return to that community, and I’m thinking hard about how I could
> return successfully or be part of any other forming community.
>
> My condition makes the frequent marathon meetings of planning an almost
> insurmountable challenge.  I believe that living in cohousing is a very
> different pace from creating cohousing, and I think that I can contribute
> and thrive in a community - with some accommodations to my condition.
> Joining an existing community in my city is very difficult because there
> are so few spots.
>
> I’m a former professor now on medical leave.  I’m self-sufficient and
> currently own and maintain my own home (I pay for household and garden
> help).
>
> What strategies have groups explored or implemented to extend the
> cohousing goal of inclusivity to people with various disabilities?
>
> I look forward to hearing from folks with experience or advise on- or
> off-list.
>
> Thanks, Allison Tom
> allison.tom [at] telus.net
>
> NB: I am planning on submitting an article about this to the “Race, class
> and privilege” issue of Communities magazine.

Joan Seliger Sidney <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/>
Body of Diminishing Motion
<http://www.joanseligersidney.org/diminishing.html> (CavanKerry), Eric
Hoffer Legacy Finalist 2015
Bereft and Blessed <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/bereft.html>
(Antrimhouse)
Special Research Associate / Writer in Residence
University of Connecticut Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish
Life
http://www.joanseligersidney.org