SF Bay: Teach In: Cooperative Solutions to the Housing Crisis
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
Teach In: Cooperative Solutions to the Housing Crisis
http://www.theselc.org/housing_crisis_meet_coops

November 02, 2017 at 6pm - 7:30pm
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin St
San Francisco, CA 94102

A cross Bay community conversation and training on transformative,
community-led responses to the housing crisis. Co-facilitated by the
San Francisco Community Land Trust, Sustainable Economies Law Center,
and the East Bay Community Law Center

As market forces continue to fail in providing meaningful solutions to
the ongoing and widespread housing crisis, what solutions can we look
to within our own communities? Are there options beyond the
traditional responses of 'affordable housing' and single-family
home-ownership?

This teach-in will explore some of the underlying drivers of mass
displacement and gentrification, how we build community and power, and
models for community-controlled permanently affordable housing. We
will discuss existing models, including community land trusts and
limited equity housing cooperatives, as well as emerging models of
community ownership such as real estate investment cooperatives and
the permanent real estate cooperative, a new model being developed by
Sustainable Economies Law Center and People of Color Sustainable
Housing Network.

Join us if you are interested in learning about transformative and
practical ways for our communities to come together and create
solutions to the housing crisis!

About the Presenters

This teach-in is a collaboration between Sustainable Economies Law
Center and the East Bay Community Law Center. Sara Stephens, Julie
Gilgoff, and Chris Tittle of Sustainable Economies Law Center's
Housing program will be presenting with Hewot Shankute and Melissa
Colon of the East Bay Community Law Center's Community Economic
Justice Clinic.

Fred

--
Bassett Creek Cohousing, Minneapolis  http://mn.cohousing.org/bcrk/