Equipment -- Care Taking and Storage
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:00:50 -0800 (PST)
(This is an FYI piece going into the blog on Cohousing.org. Not in response to
a current question.)

Communities designing their common houses often ask about what they will need.
What do people really use? What kind of storage is needed and what will go in
it? Is an office necessary and for what? They don’t know about storage for 8
snow shovels or 6 different kinds of brooms and mops.

When our water bills doubled at Takoma Village, we realized that in less than 6
years our population had doubled in size. And it has continued to grow as
households expand from one to two and three and four people. That expansion
means more people donating equipment and more money to buy it — an up-scale
gas-fired outdoor grill, a freestanding basketball hoop, a sun canopy for those
grilling at BBQs, etc.

All well and good, but the big picture is the increase in care taking tasks and
in the need for storage. Who is responsible for ensuring that the cover is on
the grill and the gas canisters are full? Who ensures that the sun canopy is
folded correctly so it can be stored in its case without being damaged?

In the third year we lived here, a resident wanted to make a donation in memory
of her son. The community chose a freestanding basketball hoop. A place was
found for it in the parking lot. But she didn’t play basketball and it never
had an identified caretaker. It was used regularly when there were teenagers
and parents who played there. But that age group cycled through, and it was
taken care of only intermittently. It was hit by trucks and generally left to
rust. After 14 years it barely stands.

 It needed to be kept in good repair—used or not, for future residents.

When most of the under-six children had grown out of the playroom or moved
away, there was a push to restock it for older children. Booster seats and
toddler toys went to the thrift shop. Books were replaced at elementary school
level and above. Many more things, like dress up clothes, were on the chopping
block. But a year or so later we had babies and toddlers again who quickly
needed those booster seats and we had to buy highchairs. There were no dolls.
The learning to walk toys were gone.

We have always had a person in charge of the playroom, but we hadn’t thought
about the rooms being used in cycles — the toddlers coming in waves. Some
thought they were gone. We needed the room to be kept intact and cared for when
few children were playing there just as it was when it was too crowded. It is a
facility that is as necessary as the laundry room.

Along with each piece equipment comes the need for storage. When people wanted
to purchase a large gas grill, the question was not will anyone really use it,
but where will it be stored? Indoor storage was impossible because moving it in
and out of the basement would be too cumbersome, and it did have canisters of
gas attached to it. Where outdoors? If in a grassy area it would be difficult
to move to the piazza where our old one was most often used. Would anyone use
it beside the garden with the compost on the other side of a not-very-tall
wall? It was too large to leave in the piazza all the time. And for BBQs too
smokey and hot when used for hours.

We finally found a good place and a person to care for it. Then she left one
early spring when no one was thinking about the grill or who would ensure that
it was used properly and cared for.

Now, before every common house purchase, we have someone who takes
responsibility for it and a place to store it. It isn’t as organized as that
sounds but voices are there asking the questions and they are more likely to be
addressed before something is acquired.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines