Re: Defibrillator in the common house
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
So let's imagine a few possible scenarios:
And from all the imaginable scenarios,  you never know for sure that the AED
was the determining factor in survival.

To summarize this reality check: Even with some of us trained in CPR, and even
if we had a $1500 AED, circumstances would have to be just right to bring
Person ABCDE back to life.

I forgot to mention another factor in Takoma Village not purchasing an AED is
that we are in a city with several hospitals fairly close by. An ambulance can
be here in less than 5 minutes. So for us the more predictably helpful plan
would be to devise a system of alerts for calling the ambulance when people
live alone or a housemate is travelling.

An Apple Watch has proved its value many times over.  If the wearer is
conscious, Siri can send an email to the community or 911 very quickly. Even in
the middle of the night, someone always seems to be online. A phone call is
just as fast but it means guessing who might be able to arrive quickly. It’s
one call at a time.

This conversation is about AED which are used in absolute emergencies, but most
often there is a warning like severe pain during which a person can be
encouraged to call for help.

Sharon
———
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC