Re: Diversity
From: Hollie Butler (holliebutlergmail.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 18:44:14 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Dick Margulis <dick [at] dmargulis.com> wrote:

> So that brings up an idea. There is strength in numbers. If three black
> families (or three of any other group that shared this feeling of not
> wanting to be "the only") found each other and joined a cohousing community
> *together*, wouldn't that help mitigate that feeling? Not my place to
> suggest how that might come about. I'm just tossing the idea out there.

I'm sure this is a well-intentioned suggestion, but it's putting the
problem right onto people of color to solve. It's exactly our place as
white people to consider how we could make that come about. If the spirit
of the idea is meant to be, "It'd be nice to have more than one family of
color in a cohousing neighborhood, so they'd feel less alone," that's a
great sentiment, but how do we make that happen?

Has there been any good research (polls, actual data) into why cohousing is
overwhelmingly white? Is it mostly economic, mostly cultural? Can we find
the place where these factors create gaps, and bridge them somehow, through
better marketing, better financing options, better outreach and education?
What would those efforts look like? These are a few things I've been
wondering as I'm reading this discussion.

- Hollie