Re: Eugene Cohousing (Lynn Dixon)
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 11:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
Tricia,

I must disagree with your assessment of the Oakleigh Meadow situation. I have
seen a lot of neighborhood opposition in my 30 years of designing and
developing cohousing and affordable housing communities. I work under the
assumption that all new projects will have opposition. The only time I haven't
seen opposition is when the proposed project was being built on a property that
was a known drug den (Berkeley Cohousing). Having spent thousands of hours
attempting to work with neighbors, I have come to the view that most of it is
driven by fear, and is not very rational.

Just as interesting, most all of the oppositions' concerns goes away after you
move in. Living next to a construction site is never fun. But after the
community moves in, cohousing neighbors are the most conscious neighbors you
could ask for. I have a collection of letters collected by Marty Maskall from
neighbors that originally opposed an adjacent cohousing project, and ended up
really appreciating them as neighbors. One even had their daughter's wedding in
the common house.

So, I absolutely DO NOT think neighborhood opposition leads to long term
resentments. Cohousers are great neighbors, and a plus to any neighborhood. And
guess what?  Turns out having 2-story condos across the street doesn't destroy
your way of life.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 8/6/18, 11:35 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of T G"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of triciamill9 [at] gmail.com> wrote:

    I guess the bottom line is that this sounds like a very horrible toxic
    environment for all that seems to offer no amicable solution. Not a place I
    would want to live out my retirement. I hope to find a community that is
    living in peace with its surroundings. Very bad energy surrounding this
    whole situation.

    Good to know before buying in.