Re: Diversity - apodment shared kitchen thread
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 6, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Liz Ryan Cole via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:

> I wonder if one of the problems that Groundswell had was of expectations  -
> we are hoping that some of the apodments (at least) will be owner occupied
> (perhaps in a coop format) and we also hope that people WILL move in and
> eventually on, as grad students and singles and couples in their ’20’s and
> ’30’s live there, and have the chance to learn about cohousing before moving
> (and maybe becoming advocates for cohousing themselves).

It might work better if the pods were purchased by one person who also lives
there and the owner rents to people that person chooses. That creates a “buck
stops here” person, still provides housing for young and single people, and
relieves the community of the risk and work.

Even if the community needs to help a younger person buy the pod unit by
carrying the mortgage, they would still be less at risk than having to rent the
pods themselves. The worst that can happen is that the person defaults and the
community gets the pods back.

It is not uncommon for people in graduate school to buy or rent a house and
rent rooms. The house functions cooperatively and the renters cover the
expenses. If the house is owned, the renters are paying off the mortgage.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC